On July 18, Sakhalin State University’s Technical Institute held a graduation for 4th year students with that certified their completion of The Oil Engineering Program. This special program was developed by Gubkin Russian State Oil and Gas University (RGU).
The program was implemented with financial support from the international Sakhalin-1 Consortium comprised of the Russian State Oil Company Rosneft, Sodeco, a Japanese Oil Company, ONGC Videsh, an Indian Oil Company and Exxon Neftegas Limited, an affiliate of ExxonMobil.
Mr. Steve Butt, President of Exxon Neftegas Limited, said, “All of the Sakhalin-1 Consortium, including RosNeft, SODECO, ONGC and ExxonMobil, have been supporting educational projects in Sakhalin for many years now. The knowledge gained from lecturers of Russia’s leading Oil and Gas University will help these students build a career, which is important to all of us on Sakhalin.”
In September 2017, Exxon Neftegas Limited, on behalf of the Sakhalin-1 Consortium, signed a cooperative agreement with Gubkin Russian State Oil and Gas University and Sakhalin State University in order to promote the training of engineers for Sakhalin’s Oil and Gas Industry. This agreement was the foundation for the development of The Oil Engineering Program. The program is 200+ hours and includes six training modules in various disciplines associated with oil and gas development by RGU.
The Oil Engineering Program includes the following subjects:
- Petroleum Geology
- Physics of Oil Reservoirs and Experimental Support of Oilfield Development
- Oilfield Development
- 3-D Simulation Modeling of Oil Reservoirs
- Oil Production Equipment and Technology
- Offshore Development
RGU lecturers visit Sakhalin to teach theoretical classes and practical exercises with Sakhalin students, and to administer midterm exams.
In order to complete the program, the students must pass their final exams.
For many years, the Sakhalin-1 Consortium has supported professional education in Sakhalin. The key milestones of these efforts include:
- The establishment of Technical Oil and Gas Institute of Sakhalin State University, which included the provisioning of a full set of training equipment and laboratories
- The creation of the STEM Center, used to train multidisciplinary specialists in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering disciplines
- The support of student research conferences
- The support of training programs and guest lecturers by professors from Russian and foreign universities
- A free technical English course for students of the Technical Oil and Gas Institute