It is the policy of the Sakhalin 1 Project and its operator, Exxon Neftegas Limited (ENL), to conduct its business in a manner that is compatible with the balanced environmental and economic needs of the Sakhalin 1 Project communities. ENL is taking the environmental vulnerability of Sakhalin Island into consideration and believes that Sakhalin-1 resources can be developed on the basis of principles of environmental responsibility, meaning the prevention or mitigation of adverse impact through the use of carefully developed design solutions and measures to avoid or mitigate impact. ENL is committed to continuous efforts to improve environmental performance throughout its operations.
Accordingly, ENL’s policy targets:
- Compliance with all applicable environmental protection laws and regulations of the Russian Federation and the application of principles of environmental responsibility in those cases where such laws and regulations do not exist;
- Encourage concern and respect for Sakhalin Island environment, emphasize every employee's responsibility in environmental performance and ensure appropriate operating practices and training;
- Work with the RF government and industry groups to foster timely development of effective environmental laws and regulations based on sound science and considering risks, costs, benefits, and effects on energy and product supply;
- Emphasize incident prevention through design and operating procedures;
- Respond quickly and effectively to incidents resulting from project operations, cooperating with industry organizations and authorized government agencies;
- Conduct and support research to improve understanding of the impact of the Sakhalin-1 Project on the environment, to improve methods of environmental protection, and to enhance its capability to make operations and products compatible with the environment.
- Fulfill obligations under the PSA and provide information on project activities and plans to Russian authorities pursuant to the rigorous formal review processes established by Russian legislation. These processes provide for a professional and objective review mechanism with comprehensive public consultation;
- Communicate with the local community on environmental matters and share ENL’s experience with others to facilitate improvements in industry performance;
- Undertake appropriate reviews and evaluations of their operations to measure progress and to ensure compliance with this policy.